Friday, February 18, 2005

"I Do"

Today at about 4:00pm, PST my good buddy Jace asked his princess to marry him. She said yes (as was expected) but hearing his voice on the other end of the phone shouting in hysterical glee "She said yeeeeeeessss!" was a special experience indeed. Almost makes me wish I could go back to that magical moment on February 6th, 2003 when my own darling wife agreed to marry me. It is truly incredible to think that a creature so fair and lovely as a true woman would ever agree to be life-bound to a guy of all things. Yet the Lord in His infinite mercy and blessings has seen fit to bestow upon us men the incomprehendable wonder of a soulmate and lover to share our existence on this earth within the form of marriage. Having been married for just over 16 months myself I know that life has a way of wedging itself in between our hearts and that euphoric place of awe that at first we so desperately clung to. Not that we love our dear wives any less but sometimes the road gets a little rough and things you once swore you'd never take for granted suddenly are. Poetry becomes more scarce, flowers less frequent and the idea of still mailing a love letter passes beyond thought. Granted some men are slower to "fade" in the romance department than others but I think that all of us can admit to a certain degree that we loose a bit of edge with time. The acute awareness of the state of love and our constant undivided attention to it becomes distracted and otherwise diverted. For these reasons I am truly thankful for reminders like today. Re-living a very special moment through my friend today has brought to mind and heart a host of feelings and memories I don't soon wish to forget. Not that I ever really will, but just as silver may tarnish without attention, so too might our emotion and devotion. Thank you, Father, for reminders such as these to keep our hearts full and our expressions in kind outpouring.

No comments: