While I was at lunch today, I pondered a sequence of very profound subjects, one after the other. The first such profundity to consume my thoughts was whether or not it is proper to tip the hairstylist after getting your hair cut. If it is proper, how much should you tip? Is it the same as for the food industry? Is it more? Is it less?
I am always at a loss when it comes to this situation. Generally I just add $5 to the total and call it good. But then I wonder if the hairstylist is secretly shaking her fist at my back as I walk out the door and thinking "That cheapskate!" On the one hand, I don't think you should add a whole lot to the total (especially if you're paying $35-40 for the haircut in the first place). On the other hand, it would seem very rude not to tip at all.
It would be so much easier if there was just a general rule, like the 15-20% rule for waiters. Can any of you ladies help me out? Do you tip your hairstylists? If so, how much? While you're at it, maybe somone can tell me how much you are supposed to tip skycaps and bellboys. (That one has always mystified me too.) :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
The less tipped the better. Checkbook and husband be happy.
-Dan
I never think about it too much but I usually leave a tip of about 10%...$4 for a $40 haircut. Like you, I wish I knew if there was a rule for us to follow...I really like my hairstylist, and I don't want her shaking her fist at me as I leave the store... ;)
-Heidi
Leave it to me to just bluntly ask the hairstylist what his tip should be. He grinned, told me there was no rule, and said, "As much or as little as you want."
From the horse's mouth. :-D
Post a Comment