Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Lifehouse

Dan, Jason and I went to see a Lifehouse concert last night. They were in town promoting their new CD (which comes out on March 29th, btw) and a local radio station was able to book them for a small concert. It was free, but you had to sign up on a first-come, first serve basis. The concert was held in a very small venue and there weren't very many people there. The band played on a small stage with acoustic instead of electric guitars and one of those "electronic" drum sets.

I'm not much of a concert person--at least not when it comes to "popular" music concerts. (I've only been to a couple of them--one of which was Norah Jones, which doesn't really count.) I thoroughly enjoyed last night, however.
I was really impressed with how the band interacted with the crowd and their skill, especially that of the lead singer. On the whole, the group seemed more mature musically and personally than your average rock band performers (not that I'm an expert).

But the main reason I like the band, both before and after hearing them live, is for their song Everything, which sadly, they didn't play last night. If you haven't heard the song, here's a link to the words. Call me cheesy, but I think it's one of the most beautiful worship songs ever written (and I do have some basis for saying it's a worship song, including the fact that the band originally started as a church worship team--but don't get me started *wink*). They write powerful lyrics in general, which is, to me, the greatest attraction about their music. Other song recommendations: Breathing, Take Me Away, Quasimodo, Unknown.

No comments: