As I've stated here before, I'm not especially avid about political matters. However, I do believe that it is important to vote, especially in a presidential election. Especially in this presidential election.
And I'm going to go a step farther...
It's important that you vote for John McCain and Sarah Palin in this presidential election.
I received an e-mail a few weeks ago from some old acquaintances who wanted to let all their friends and their entire family know that they were voting with the Constitution Party this year. To "send a message" to the Republican Party that they don't like the candidates the GOP has been sending the American public. To let them know that they weren't going to stand for it any more, by golly, and that the rest of us deserve to suffer under Obama for four years until the GOP gets its act together.
This is madness.
The only message they're sending is coming through loud and clear in Obama's camp: American conservatives are divided, in-fighting and completely ineffective as a group. And Obama's camp is already celebrating.
Here's the thing: You may not like John McCain, and I respect that. I have a few issues with him, myself. However, he is much less objectionable than the alternative, and believe me--no matter whose name you write down, there is only one alternative. We will either have McCain or Obama for our next president; there is no third option.
You've been given one vote. Don't waste your vote by voting for someone other than McCain. It's just that--a waste. Strategically, it's stupid. It will gain America nothing.
Oh yeah, and speaking of wasted votes, I have one more gripe: women who won't vote. My mom was telling me yesterday about a friend of hers who told her that on Tuesday, she is taking her kids to the polling place "and we're all going to watch [husband/dad] vote." This woman has bought into the patriarchy movement and all of its oppressive, degrading glory. She's going to be two feet away from voting herself, and she won't do it.
That makes me mad. Don't call yourself a soldier and pretend to care about the battle if you're going to bury your gun and watch your comrades fight without you. You are a disgrace.
If that's offensive, I'm sorry. If you buy that patriarchy stuff you shouldn't be reading my blog anyway. I possess two things the patriarchy people detest in a woman: a professional career and a husband who likes me to think for myself. So you're not among friends here.
I hope you will all make an informed decision tomorrow--one that realistically considers where we are as a country and where we could be headed, depending on the outcome of this election. I pray that you will set aside personal prejudices, ideas about "taking a stand" and issues that are not really issues.
Let's vote as a team. Please.
Monday, November 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Now don't hold back, Angel dear, tell us what you REALLY think. ;)
At the very least, dominated woman could vote as her husband tells her to!
Go Angel!
What I mostly hate is the assumption that the wife's opinions either fall in line with, or are not as important as, the husband's. Actually, there's a lot I dislike about the hyperpatriarchy movement, not just politics. Darren, not sharing my passion, gets bored with the subject about three sentences in. He's really no fun.
So, yeah, anytime you feel the pressure to vent in this area, just email me and I'll be happy to oblige. :)
-- SJ
P.S. I voted, with three kids in tow, by 8:00 this morning. Do I get the Angel Seal of Approval?
I'm not sure there's such a thing as the "Angel Seal of Approval," Sara, but if there is, I'm sure you have it. As long as you didn't vote for Alan Keyes or some other worthy, but quite hopeless, candidate. ;)
But "Angel Seal of Approval" sounds so COOL!
-- SJ
Post a Comment