Monday, November 17, 2008

Who are the Real Haters?

This is a revealing article, representing sore loserhood at its worst.

Racial epithets and religious discrimination. This, from a minority group seeking "equal rights."

It would be ironic if it weren't so pathetic.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

It's always sad when a very loud, very obnoxious subset drowns out the reasonable, "normal" people in the larger group. Makes me think of Fred Phelps and others like him who give *our* "group" a bad reputation.

Angel said...

Since I actually live here, I deal with this "subset" on a daily basis. Trust me, it's not just a few isolated quacks. I encounter them at work, in my neighborhood, and even on the side of the road where a No on 8 proponent was screaming epithets at a poor woman who merely had a "Yes on 8" bumper sticker on her car. The attitude and anger is much more prevalent than you would think, unfortunately. And Sacramento is relatively conservative!

Heidi said...

I totally understand that...I just think that behind the very loud crazies, are some normal people who are just...people...folks so normal that you might not even know they're gay/Prop 8 supporters. Unfortunately the "subset" is the group that gets the megaphone. Maybe the "subset" is the majority; I don't know what the numbers are as far as crazies versus normals. I just know that the gay people I know are NOT like that...I've known quite a few (I even know one in Long Beach, CA) and they would all be horrified at that sort of behavior.

That's why I think it's sad...because the crazy ones are so numerous and so loud, it's easy to either paint the whole group with a broad brush, forget about or not even want to talk to the rest of them...which is, I think, unfortunate. For while at the end of the day both sides are entitled to disagree and keep their own opinions, I think we are all bettered by increased conversation and respect for the human being underneath of the political stance.