Lately it seems that the housewife apron is back in vogue. I see aprons everywhere, not just in cooking stores. There are entire websites devoted to selling aprons. Apron patterns are a hot item at the fabric store. I even know of women who coordinate their aprons with their outfits and wear them out of doors.I don't get it. I mean, aprons are functional and all, but I would never think of them as accessories. I own one, myself--a very non-frilly, basic apron from Williams Sonoma. I use it when I remember, which I wish I would do more often, because I have ruined several T-shirts lately (I'm a messy cook).
But wouldn't it be counterproductive to wear a "decorative" apron during cooking? I mean, if you're going to the trouble of owning pretty aprons (again, a concept which totally escapes me) why would you let them get covered in grease, spaghetti sauce and pie crust?
On the other hand, I suppose there is a possibility that these aprons are simply thought cute and are meant for looking fresh and housewifey, nothing more. But that I really don't get. I don't think they're cute, except maybe in a very June Cleaverish sort of way.
Am I missing something? Maybe I should be on the apron bandwagon too.
Then again, never mind. An apron wouldn't go with my suit. ;)
4 comments:
My issue is the memory issue, too. I wouldn't remember to put the dumb thing on -why waste the money?
Still, I have to admit, it would be awfully cute to see Piper in an apron while we're baking together...
I hadn't noticed a real come-back. umm, I'm going to look at a few mags and see if I notice that too.
wear it out doors, like to stores? WHY!? I guess because messes happen everywhere, not just the kitchen. I know my son has actually ruined more of my shirts than I have personally, due to spilling or hugging me while he's still dirty, and stuff.
I agree with the money issue. If it's going to get ruined, why pay for a nice one, just get any old ugly thing, or do like we did in grade school and use one of dad's (or now husband's) old shirts that's oversized on us and covers our clothes.
This has nothing to do with your post, which is Bad Blog Manners -- but did you hear that Darren and I met your family this past weekend? We're part of the same CSA. How funny is that?
-- SJ
This also doesn't have anything to do with your post, but your Truffle Haus blog doesn't allow anonymous comments... Your grilled pizza recipe was fantastic and we loved it.
However, I liked the dough recipe, but it didn't seem to come out quite right. I checked the CPK cookbook out from the library and found out why - the recipe says you need to let it rise after mixing the ingredients and before you put it in the fridge. I was wondering why 1 + 1 didn't add up to thrice :-) Thanks for the great cooking blog!
Post a Comment