Thursday, August 24, 2006

Charity Clarity

Today's post over on Girl Talk really hit me "between the eyes," so to speak. Carolyn Mahaney was writing about difficult relationships and how hard it is to humbly and patiently relate to someone else when we feel they have unjustly wronged us.

In life, I've had a few of those "unjustly wronged" moments. Quite a few, actually. Not that I'm trying to paint myself as a victim -- there have been quite a few more times when I have been rightfully rebuked. ;) But I know how it feels to have someone misjudge you. Boy, do I ever.

The human heart's response to these wounds is first to retaliate and then to protect itself. It's knee-jerk. After all, if I can convince myself and even others that the offending person is bitter, judgmental, or immature, their opinion of me suddenly lessens in importance. The focus is off of me and my shortcomings.

How much would my response change if I could view every hurtful thing said as being a lesson from God? As James assured us, the trials He sends our way teach us patience (and a load of other valuable things). I know I'd have a better attitude, for one thing. And probably better relationships. :)

To read Carolyn's entire post, click here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that does sound powerful. good reminders are never in short demand. I'll have to go check that out, when I have this little thing called "time" ;)