Friday, April 08, 2005

Things You Learn While Waiting in the Dentist's Office

I had a dental appointment this morning. Since I had a bit of a wait before the dentist would be ready to see me, I picked up one of those women's magazines that have all the beauty tips and celebrity gossip and started thumbing through it. (I like the fashion articles. *grin*)

Here are the things I learned:

#1. Did you know. . . ? There is an online store called "Bag Borrow or Steal", from which you may "rent" designer handbags for a monthly fee. "Diva" status (the highest) costs between $99.95 and $149.95 per month; however there is "Princess" status ($49.95 to $74.95) or "Trendsetter" status ($19.95 to $29.95) for the more frugal designer-handbag-lover. A monthly subscription allows the subscriber to rent one to two bags at a time from her Diva, Princess or Trendsetter collection. (Side note: You have to be a "Diva" to get a Fendi bag. Doesn't that just so figure.) You can exchange the bags as seldom or as frequently as you want, and if a particular bag really tickles your fancy, you have the option to "steal" it: i.e., purchase it for a slightly discounted price. For all of you ladies who I know are just dying to spend $1800 a year on handbag rentals, here's the link: Bag Borrow or Steal.

#2. When used in reference to flimsy lace underwear, the phrase "couture quality" simply means they can charge you $140 a pair.

#3. For nearly every kitchen concoction you can dream up, there is a model somewhere who swears it improves skin firmness and texture with consistent application. My favorite was the mashed bananas/whole milk mask, applied for 15 minutes once a week. (How exactly does one keep a mixture like that on the face, anyway?)

#4. There are women in the world who have spent over $5,000 on one outfit. No, really. It's true. And I mean like an everyday outfit; you know, skirt, blouse, jacket, shoes, purse. (My entire wedding ensemble--meaning dress, shoes, gloves, veil, goofy crinoline underskirt, everything--was less than $500.)

*exaggerated, self-pleased sigh* I'm sure these newly-learned lessons will prove useful to me someday. ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

blech. Ah-choo! it's me big sissy. O:-) Those magazines scare me. I guess only big sissies can actually read em and come out unscathed. but then you and me both know those things would go outta business if they ever met you, cuz nobody could compete. so too bad for them. sniffle. :)

Angel said...

You know, as long as you have been doing it, I'm still not sure I dig the "big sissy" title. Couldn't we shorten it to "big sis?" ;)

--Angel