Friday, April 29, 2005

Last Day

So today is my last day at my current job. Everyone has been so nice; lunch with the whole firm last Friday, free breakfast this morning from the little asian lady who runs the deli across the hall. I've been thinking this morning about just how much one person's life actually touches and affects so many others'--perhaps not always in a significant way, but it does, nonetheless. I don't think I'll be missed in the way one misses one's friends or one's family, but I am leaving little "holes" here and there: my job obviously will need to be done by someone else now; no more daily hellos to the little asian lady; no more quick stops at my favorite sandwich place where they know me by name. I like knowing that I will be missed a little, and I will miss all of them too. Who knows if I'll ever see any of them again--probably not--but for a little while our paths crossed and we made each other smile.

Unfortunately, my reflections in this respect are not wholly cheerful; I've also been wondering if I've truly done all I can for God's glory since coming here a year and a half ago. The answer, of course, is "no"--after all, can we ever really do enough? There's always "that one time when I should've. . ." Thankfully the grace of God covers our shortcomings, but mine still glare at me accusingly on occasion.

A few weeks' ago at the ladies' Bible study I attend our teacher asked us this question: "If you knew Jesus was coming back next week, how would your lifestyle change, if at all?" We all agreed that our lifestyles would change--for example, we would all quit our jobs, stop anything that had to do with future planning, and devote all our time and energy into those we know who aren't yet Christians. I have grandparents who don't know the Lord yet and I think I would buy a one-way ticket to their home and spend those last few days and hours talking to them about eternal life.

Obviously, we don't know when the Lord is coming back and it would be impractical to drop everything and live completely hand-to-mouth all the time, especially if there are children or others we have to provide for. But asking the question of ourselves is a good exercise, I think. It can be so hard to keep an eternal perspective, with all our daily activities and responsibilities crowding spiritual things into the background.

I, for one, am thankful for the subtle and gentle proddings of the Holy Spirit, who can turn my mundane thoughts about my last day of work into deeper ponderings over the truly once-and-for-all Last Day. :) I hope and pray I will always listen to Him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me too, Angel.

Anna Howard said...

Hey girl... we need to catch up :-P SERIOUSLY :-D