Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Portland Has Five Seasons

Eureka! I think I have at last solved the perplexing conundrum that is Portland's weather. You see, in most parts of the country there are only four seasons: Winter, Spring, Summer, and Autumn. In Portland, there are five: Winter the First, Spring, Winter the Second, Summer and then Autumn.

I noticed this pattern last year too. Winter arrives in October or November, with cold winds and steady rain through about the middle of February, and then suddenly morphs into the loveliest imaginable of Springs with sunshine, 70-ish temperatures and colorful trees and flowers punctuating the green everywhere. Then, to our dismay, Winter the Second takes hold near the end of March and again it rains steadily and is cold until sometime in the middle of May when Summer's relentless dry heat bursts upon us without warning. Autumn generally arrives sometime near the end of September.

All the complaining about the weird weather around here can now stop. Portlanders just need to expect to five seasons from now on instead of four, and all will be well. :)

No comments: