If you asked an impartial observer, they'd tell you I'm back in California, but I'm still in denial. ;)
I had a great trip to Virginia. I got to see my best friend Heidi, who picked me up from the airport and took me out for some much-needed lunch after arduous all-night travel. I spent some quality time with my brothers Dan and Joel, whose work schedules often keep me from visiting much with them when I visit. I made the 3+ hour (each way) drive to Roanoke to visit my grandfather in the hospital, which also facilitated some special time with my grandma. I went shopping with my mom and my sister Arielle. I curled hair and primped and beautified my littlest sisters Jewel, Gabrielle and Noelle, at their request. My mom and I watched two whole chick flicks together (a feat, I tell you!). I visited with my other grandparents, who live in a house on the same property as my family. I even got to spend some quality alone time with my dad while he drove me over to my grandma's house. The weather was perfect and unheard of for August--only in the high 70s/low 80s and NOT HUMID. And the Redskins won their game against the Bills, which was just icing on the cake. ;)
And at the end of it all, I didn't have as much difficulty as usual getting on the plane to fly back to California, because Dan was here waiting for me. He's a good reason to come back. ;)
In spite of how great the trip was, I can tell you--I am so tired of flying! Many airlines are now charging for checked baggage and for drinks on the plane that used to be complimentary. On the way back I had no cash and I seriously thought I was going to pass out from dehydration. I came very close to drinking some water out of the faucet in the lavatory. :-P On the way to Virginia my connecting flight got cancelled and I had to be rerouted to Washington National instead of Dulles. Overweight luggage now costs $100 (at least on U.S. Airways), which meant that packing has to be done very carefully. And airlines are now also charging a fee for pillows and blankets on flights.
Alas, unfortunately, I have to get back on a plane on Saturday morning. Dan and I are flying to Portland for the weekend. At least it's a much shorter flight. And Portland weather is generally nice this time of year, thankfully. AND, we get to visit our dear friends Jace and Vanessa and meet their brand new little baby girl, Madison. So somehow, I will manage to brave flying yet again. After this, I don't have to get on a plane again (absent some work crisis) until we go to Hawaii in October. Something tells me I'm not going to be complaining about that one. ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You're going to Hawaii! How wonderful! How long will you be there? We need to get together at some point!
Post a Comment