My grandparents are in town visiting us this week. My grandpa was in the Air Force and my grandparents have literally travelled the world together, but in spite of being stationed near San Francisco many years ago, they never made it to see the giant redwoods in Northern California. My grandma has always wanted to drive her car through the famous tree, so here they are. My grandma is fun-loving and determined like that, and I adore her. :)
My grandpa is in his 70s, and has been having trouble with his memory for perhaps a year. A few months ago he was officially diagnosed with Alzheimer's. It's hard to watch him struggle to recall familiar names and places. It's hard to watch him struggle with simple things like buckling his own seatbelt. But he's still my grandpa, and I love being with him anyway. I have 27 years of wonderful memories that I haven't forgotten.
What was striking to me yesterday after I picked them up from the airport was the things he does remember. He remembers to open doors for me, and for my grandma. He remembers to try to carry things for us. He noticed that Dan wasn't with me at the airport and asked where he was. He always remembers to say thank you for any little thing you do for him.
My grandpa's life, to me, is characterized by his kindness to others. He's spoiled me since the day I was born. He and my grandma gave me my first car. Once he told me that he was glad he hadn't had any daughters (they had four boys)--he didn't think he could resist a little girl's charms enough to be a good daddy to one. "A daughter would've had me wrapped around her finger," he'd said.
It's the habits he's spent his life forming that he remembers. Happily, they are good habits. Though his memory is fading and his personality is altered, his character still shows through.
It's made me think about how my own daily choices are shaping my character. I wonder if I'll be characterized by kindness, or by something else.
I understand that eventually, the things my grandpa currently remembers will probably slip away too. He'll even forget me. But the kindness and love he bestowed on his family won't be forgotten. And once he's free of this earth, he'll have a perfect mind and an eternity of new memories to be made in heaven. I'm so thankful for that. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That's a kind of immortality ... what we are that those we love will remember best.
~FD
It is for the loving character, that inspired the heart and hands in typing this post, that I do truly love my wife.
-D
Post a Comment