Thursday, March 22, 2007

Chasing Dreams

One of the other attorneys in my office announced this week that he is leaving the firm. It came as quite a shock to me, at least, because this attorney has been practicing successfully for a number of years. He is well-liked in our office and always seemed to enjoy his work. But, as he explained to me, he feels like there's something more out there than the day-in, day-out office life. He wants to travel overseas, spend some extended time with his family, and get more involved with missions and his church. He's also thinking about moving to an Asian country to teach English.

Although I'm very sad that he's leaving, I can't help but feel a little bit envious. I love my job and the life I've been blessed with, but there's always a little something inside me that says "I was made for more than this." I personally think that "little something" is the "eternity" that Scripture says God has set in our hearts. We all know, deep down, that we were made for something more substantial than this life. We all have a God-given longing for substance, to do something that matters, something that will last forever. I think it's a longing for Heaven, even though we don't often recognize it as such.

Not many of us get to truly chase after our dreams here on earth. My prayers and blessings go with this gentleman, and I look forward to seeing what he will do in the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's really cool. I admire a person like that lot. Like you said, eternity is set in our hearts, and while we look forward to heaven, I like to think that eternity isn't some far off place as much as it's a way of life that starts now, and continues forever when we cross the heavenly border between this life and the next. It's so hard not to get bogged down in the day-to-day, though, and keep our sights on what really matter.