Monday, July 10, 2006

Pirates

So we saw the new Pirates movie yesterday afternoon. I did several things I never do with regard to movies: 1) I saw a "big" movie on opening weekend and 2) I got to the theatre early so as to ensure getting a decent seat.

Now I remember why I never do that.

I have always been a bit of a non-conformist when it comes to movie pop-culture; for example, I refused to see the first two Lord of the Rings movies in the theatre at all, and I only went to see the third one because I was a newlywed and my husband wanted to take me as his date. ;) I have never figured out what the big deal is with Star Wars or all those superhero movies either (yes, Spiderman and X-Men, I am talking to you). It's my way of bucking the system and trying very hard not to be a part of those record-breaking statistics that always accompany big movies. ;)

(I feel obliged to insert a spoiler warning here -- so none of you will read the following and then be upset that I gave the ending away. *grin*)

I was pretty disappointed with Pirates. I wasn't crazy about the first movie, but I did find it entertaining and very creative. I think Johnny Depp is an amazing actor, enough to mitigate the annoyance that is Keira Knightley, and loyalty to Legolas makes me willing to overlook most of Orlando Bloom's personal flaws and appreciate him as an actor.

Depp was great; Bloom better than expected (Knightley as annoying as ever). Still, I didn't feel like the movie was worth the extra effort we put into it. The whole movie I waited for what most girls wait for in a swashbuckling action movie: the end, where the guy gets the girl, they get married and live happily ever after. (Hey, considering the movie begins with Will & Elizabeth's ruined almost-wedding, it wasn't an unrealistic expectation.)

No such luck. Not only do they not get married, the movie leaves you with no certainty that they ever will, as Elizabeth appears to have fallen in love with Jack. Of course, as Jack has been chewed up by a giant octopus with fangs (why is it always a tentacled creature?), this presents a problem and ergo -- a theme for Pirate Movie # 3! So, the story does what all "big" movie stories do; it becomes so enamored with its own success that it turns itself into a trilogy. . . which means that the second movie takes the form of a very annoying cliff-hanger. Except that you're so irritated at the end of the movie, after you've sat through two hours of swordfighting and had no resolution to any part of the story, that you're not sure you even want to see the third one.

*Grumble*

To be fair however, I will say that the movie did have its good points. As usual, Jack Sparrow is good for a few laughs and there are some very creative, funny and of course, totally unbelievable moments. The story development regarding Will and his father was really interesting. I also liked the return of Commodore Lorrington in his much more manly and admirable role. . . I would probably see the third movie just to find out what happens to him.

Oh, and of course, because my husband likes these movies -- cliff-hangers or not. *grin*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's funny, we saw the new Pirates movie Sunday afternoon also. :-P I had heard the reviews were really bad, and Ryan had seen it and said it wasn't that great, and generally speaking "the sequel" just isn't as good as "the original", so I wasn't expecting very much. Maybe because of that, I was surprised...mostly at how much it made me laugh. The plot was thin (as in all action movies), and Kiera was annoying and I didn't like the bit about her falling for Jack, but in the midst of hectic wedding planning, it was nice to turn off my brain for a couple hours and just be entertained. :-P