Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Happy 230th Birthday, America

Our first Fourth of July in Sacramento proved to be quite an enjoyable experience. As early as April, some of our neighbors started telling us that the Fourth is quite a big deal in our neighborhood, which hosts its very own parade. They weren't kidding!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Dan and I took a walk down a few of the parade route streets while we waited for the parade to start. I have never seen a neighborhood so decked out for Independence Day. Think patriotic decorations -- but on a scale rivaling one of those light displays you have to pay to see at Christmastime. And the people -- there were thousands thronging what is generally a rather quiet, small set of streets. Most homes had chairs and tables set up on the lawns; we also saw a dunk tank, a moon bounce, two (local) live bands, and one closed-off street had four or five ping pong tables set up out on the pavement.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The local fire truck and ambulance led the parade, followed by what I am convinced was every child (and a fair number of parents) in East Sacramento. Some kids rode their bicycles (appropriately decorated with red, white and blue streamers and tassels, of course); many rode in decorated wagons; one even rode a unicycle. There were people in wheelchairs, people on foot, people on skateboards and scooters, dogs in patriotic bandanas, a car with stars and stripes painted on it. . . basically, if it moved and could be colored red, white and/or blue -- it was there.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We'd never seen anything quite like it. It was obviously a neighborhood tradition that had been going on for several generations. One neighbor told us that many people who lived in East Sacramento as kids now bring their kids back just for this, once a year. I remarked to Daniel as we meandered home through the maze of people and dogs and fluttering American flags: "I think this is a really great way to instill patriotism and national pride in your children. It's good to make a big deal out of freedom."

I doubt we'll still live in East Sacramento by the time we have children who are old enough to be in the parade. But if we're within driving distance, I can definitely see us coming back too. :)

Dan and I spent the rest of the day visiting with some of our neighbors, relaxing in our pool, playing Scrabble, and ended by watching fireworks from our rooftop. All in all, it was a spectacular day.

Happy Birthday, America!

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments: