I occasionally chuckle at my husband's puzzlement when it comes to the exact location of the New England states. . . or any state east of the Mississippi, for that matter. ;) But I was truly floored by the results of this study on the woeful performance of American college students (i.e., not highschoolers) in response to basic geography questions.
So I get it -- geography isn't everybody's forte. Just because I happen to like it doesn't mean everyone else has to. But these kids are seriously "unable" to find Iraq? Seventy-five percent of them can't locate Israel on a map of -- not the world, mind you, but the middle east? Good grief, do they know which planet they're on? Yeah, the big blue one, third from the sun. . . no, not the one with the rings. . .
*sigh* Stuff like this really makes me want to homeschool, if we ever have kids.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment