Since I started this new job I've been riding the MAX train to and from work every day. This has afforded me the time to read for pleasure -- something I haven't done since before law school. I'm remembering just how much I actually like to read, and I have been very excited to dig into books which, until lately, have been sitting forlorn and neglected on my shelves.One book I finished recently was Heaven, by Randy Alcorn. I found it very interesting, and in fact, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I generally enjoy Mr. Alcorn's fiction (Lord Foulgrin's Letters is probably my favorite of his) but wasn't sure I'd like his non-fiction. This book definitely answered some of my more specific questions about Heaven, which I have always wondered about but never heard addressed in sermons or Bible studies. Of course the book also raised some questions for me as well -- not necessarily because I didn't agree with it, but because Mr. Alcorn's way of viewing heaven is so different from the way I've always viewed it. I've really been wanting to discuss the book with somebody, but Dan is in the middle of another series so I'll have to wait awhile for him to get around to reading this one. Has anyone else out there read this book? If so, your thoughts?
After Heaven I decided to undertake some more "classic" literature and delved into C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra and That Hideous Strength). I am not a fan of science fiction at all, but my respect for C.S. Lewis is so great (and Randy Alcorn quoted several times from the trilogy in Heaven) that I decided to give them a try. They were wonderful, and not in the sense I supposed they might be. On the one hand, they were another example of Mr. Lewis' astonishing ability to tell a story (even an outlandish one) and make it engage the reader. On the other, there was so much wisdom and meaning to be gleaned beneath the surface of the stories, especially in Perelandra and That Hideous Strength. Were they my favorite books ever? No, but I consider myself enriched to have read them nonetheless. :)
Now I'm on my second read-through of The Sacred Romance (Brent Curtis and John Eldredge). I read it a number of years ago shortly after it first came out, and at the time it meant a lot to me and helped me through a really difficult time. Recently however, I've been finding myself a little less avid about John Eldredge and his ministry and I thought it would do me good to go back and re-read the book now from my different, (hopefully) more mature viewpoint. It's been interesting; I'm withholding comments for now though because 1) I know there are dedicated Eldredge fans who will read this post and 2) I'm only half-way through the re-read. ;)
Last, but not least, I checked out Bleak House by Charles Dickens from the library last night. I know -- not one of his better-known novels, which is why in all my years of ardent Dickens admiration I've not yet read it. :) I got it in cassette form so I can listen to it at the gym while working out (which, by the way, we've been doing like five times a week :-P). I can only take so many hours of cardio with only sports to watch on the TVs overhead. *grin* I'll let you know how it goes -- although Dickens did write it, after all, so I'm positive it's fabulous. O:)
5 comments:
Angel, I haven't read "Heaven," but I have read another one of Alcorn's books called "Safely Home" Some of the characters in that book are in Heaven. In another of his books, "Deadline," one of the characters actually dies early in the book and spends the rest of the story looking on from Heaven. The picture Alcorn paints of Heaven is not your typical "angels sitting on fluffy clouds with harps" picture. I liked the way he portrays it as a real place, where people feel as people, and where people have a much different perspective on God and His holiness and the wonder of Him. One thing that took me by surprise was the concept that we could actually pray in Heaven. Did you have any specific things that stuck out to you from the book you read?
Kelly, I have read Deadline , but not Safely Home (it's on my list!). I, too, like how Alcorn portrays Heaven as a much more physical, tangible place than we usually think it is. One thing that stuck out to me from the book was his theory that our "good" works survive this world -- his example was a wooden toy which a grandfather lovingly carved for his grandson. Or the Mona Lisa. He believes that art and culture will continue evolving and there will still be "kings" and nations on the New Earth -- all in perfect submission to God and righteous, of course. He also indicated that on the New Earth there might be things we recognize and love -- such as the Grand Canyon, a particular valley, Mt. Everest, etc.
On the whole, I really loved this idea of Heaven and the New Earth being so familiar and home-ish. On the other, his ideas seem almost sacreligious because of what I've always thought about Heaven (more like your angels on fluffy clouds with harps idea). I'm probably the one that needs to rethink my stereotypes about Heaven -- he's done a lot more research than me, after all. :)
I'm just chewing on this a bit more and would like to hear other people's thoughts. :) Thanks for yours!
Hey sweetie...I've read all of Alcorn's fiction (as I think you know - I remember loaning them back and forth years ago) but not any of his non-fiction. I've seen "Heaven" and wanted to read it, given the perspective he gives in his fictional work about heaven.
I remember in his fiction works talking about the idea that things like art and nature and even our personalities and loves will survive into heaven. I remember that the thought made me so happy - you mean I'll get to play my violin and play everything I never had time to (or didn't have ability or energy for!) here on earth?
The other thing I've always respected about his thoughts on heaven is that it seems to make so much more sense - more sense than a celestial home where we sit on clouds and sing hymns all day long. We will continue; there will be relationships; most importantly, THE relationship. It'll continue to grow, we'll continue to learn.
Of course we'll never know exactly what it'll be like, but we can't out-imagine God! And that's a good feeling. :)
I envy that you're having time to read just for pleasure...it's not something I generally have time for either. I'll be interested in your more mature take on the Sacred Romance. *wink* I should go back and reread that...I wonder what I'd think??
Heidi: I know -- I love the idea of continuation in Heaven; e.g. having similar interests and talents, etc. I have always said that I don't have enough lifetime to do everything I want to do, so maybe in Heaven I'll get to pursue those other interests -- finally get really good at playing the piano or learn to dance really well or maybe even try sky-diving (though would it be as exciting if you knew you couldn't die?). *wink*
Either way, like you said, we can't out-imagine God and whatever Heaven is like, we know it will be wonderful beyond our wildest dreams.
Angel, C.S. Lewis must be on the brain lately--my friend Leeann has an interesting post about Lewis's Space Trilogy at http://incorrigibleoptimist.blogspot.com. Thought you might want to check it out!
Post a Comment