Saturday, October 16, 2004

Grocery Shopping

It never ceases to amaze me how much money we can drop at the grocery store.

I don't much like grocery shopping. Ergo, I put it off for as long as possible between shopping trips. . . which means that when we do go shopping, we buy a ton of stuff. Of course, in the long run, it ends up saving us money because we only go shopping about once a month (with an occasional in-between trip for fresh fruits and veggies). But it is a little shocking when we can run up over $100 in groceries with no problem.

So after our trip to Hawaii, we really needed groceries. We've been hanging on since Tuesday, but by last night our refrigerator was completely bare--except for those typical staples like mayo, mustard, ketchup and salad dressing. ;) Mindful of our grocery budget, I did some quick menu planning and made a list of what we needed, and then Dan and I headed off to the store.

As our shopping commenced I was quickly reminded of a phenomenon I discovered shortly after being married--I call it the "Grocery Cart Transport Mystery" where food seems to simply "beam" itself into our cart with no assistance from me whatsoever. Somehow, by the time we get to the checkout, there are frequently a dozen extra items that I could swear I didn't put there. The additional oddity is that this never happens when my husband isn't with me. ;) Can anyone out there relate?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Strange thing is that Daniel's mom has the same problme with mysterious things ending up in the grocery cart when his dad goes to the grocery store.... but, $100 a month.... hah! somehow we spend more then that every week...:-)