Monday, September 18, 2006

Hobnobbing

On Saturday evening, Dan and I attended Pacific Justice Institute's Celebration of Justice fundraiser. It was held at the Hyatt, just across the street from the capitol building in downtown Sacramento.

I heard someone say there were about 400 people at the dinner, and at least four different California legislators spoke over the course of the evening. This may seem silly, but the best part about the evening for me was realizing that there are that many people in the Sacramento area who actually stand for conservative values. I know that since moving to the west coast, I have become less and less inclined to express my political views -- not because I am ashamed of them, but merely because I don't want to expend the time and energy on the inevitable argument that will ensue. So far the democrats in Sacramento have seemed slightly less hostile than the rabid liberals in Portland, but I still feel that I am very much in the minority. And with the California legislature turning out stupid bills by the truckload, it is easy to feel hopeless as to the future of conservative values in this state. So it was nice to spend an evening with like-minded individuals.

We also got to hang out with some of our law school classmates and as always, that was fun. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey girl-io, I'm a deliquent blog reader, but I did finally look for your book meme response :-P I do read like every post you right, I just catch up like 3-4 weeks at a time! We need a phone date... I'm going to break in your new phone number here soon..

lachen said...

Speaking a a fellow conservative from California, I hear you!

I have also found, though, that it sharpens and challenges me - to live here and be in constant "defense" mode. I love Steve Camp's lyrics, "I'd rather live 5 feet from the gates of hell than within their fiery boundary." Sometimes I feel like California and 5 feet from the gates of hell share a zip code.

But it is here that there is a ready harvest for the Lord. If only we'll muster up the courage and patience and strength to stand up (one more time!) and speak truth amidst the perpetual "grey areas" that permeate our state.

Love reading...

Anonymous said...

O, and in response to your comment at the wedding. The reason I try to be so god about replying to anything in the post I can, or a post near it, is then it let's people know I've stopped by, read it, and am checking in and listening to them. to me, at least, blogs are here at least in part for communication with others. Therefore, it'd be like calling and leaving a message or e-mailing them, and wanting that reply that at least says "I got it and I'm listening". Some times I just don't post things that are big TO ME, because I look at the last time someone showed they are reading and I feel. . . discouraged to share at large. So, I do reply a lot to journals. That's why. :)

Check out my LJ, I'll have some BIG news to post soon (it's just been too busy lately to type).