Monday, December 05, 2005

Advent

Growing up, I always participated in my family's Advent celebrations. They varied from year to year, but generally included a green Christmas wreath with purple candles to light on the four Sundays before Christmas and a white one to light on Christmas Eve. Those family Advent celebrations are among my happiest Christmas memories, so after we got married, I really wanted Daniel and myself to keep up the tradition. This is our third Christmas season together, and though we don't use the wreath and candles, we always celebrate Advent together in our own unique way.

We've changed it up some in the space of three Christmas seasons, but our Advent celebrations have settled into a somewhat regular pattern. The rule is that neither one of us is allowed to plan any outside activities for the four Sunday evenings before Christmas. At the beginning of the season we choose a Christmas story (or last year it was a series of short stories) to read aloud and each week we alternate choosing a Christmas movie to watch together. Usually we'll have a special dessert and -- probably our favorite part -- we open one Christmas gift each from underneath our tree.

Since Christmas is on a Sunday this year, yesterday was our second Advent Sunday. We're reading aloud from The Christmas Blessing, which was written as the sequel to the story (popularized by the song) The Christmas Shoes. Our movie choices range from the classic (It's a Wonderful Life, Scrooge, White Christmas) to the quirky (Elf, The Polar Express), but always manage to bring home the meaning of Christmas to us and the importance of celebrating it together.

I love Christmas. :) I love it that the birth of the Savior of the world, more than 2000 years later, still brings smiles to the faces of people who don't even know Him. I love it that even though so many people don't acknowledge the true meaning of Christmas (or even call it by its proper name), they still celebrate the best gift ever given to mankind. Children who've never heard of Jesus still wake up on Christmas morning with their eyes sparkling. I know there are many who would disagree with me on this, but I think that God finds pleasure and even praise in these things. Sure, some people try to commercialize and de-spiritualize the holiday, but they still celebrate it. Though they are not justified in their willful disregard, God can turn even their sin into something that glorifies Him. The Advent of the Savior and its attendant festivities is so firmly ingrained in our culture that it will continue -- probably -- until the end of time. And in its annual observance it bears witness, year after year, to the coming of the Christ-child, and whispers of His coming again.

I hope all of you have a very Merry Christmas. May the Advent of our Savior fill you with unspeakable joy this holiday season, and may His peace reign in your hearts always. :)

2 comments:

Angel said...

Hey girl -- I can't wait to see you at Christmas either! Only about two more weeks. :)

And you can ask me questions (about anything) at any time, you know that. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello Angel... what a sweet little web page! I e-mailed you last week, did you receive it? Well, I hope you have a merry Christmas! Love, A Long Lost Friend. ;) Nikki