Middlemarch, by George Eliot: This is one of those classic novels that I've had on my "to read" list for a long time. I finally picked it up this spring and managed to finish it just before Liam was born. I have to say, I don't think Eliot will become my favorite novelist. I had a really hard time getting into the story at first, mostly because I didn't care for any of the characters. I did finally warm to Dorothea, the heroine, about halfway through, and after that the reading went much more quickly. The short synopsis of the plot is this: Dorothea, a young and naive but nevertheless passionate woman, agrees to marry a very old, uninteresting, scholarly fellow against everyone else's advice. She ends up regretting this decision, but all turns out alright for her in the end. To be honest, I was much more interested in the less important "sub heroines," Rosamund and Mary. But you'll have to read the book to find out who they are. :) It's still a worthwhile read with a satisfying ending, even though it wasn't my favorite classic. Four out of five stars, considering its classical merit.
Playing for Pizza, by John Grisham: I have read a few of Grisham's novels and while they're not all masterpieces, they are relatively entertaining. In April I found myself in an airport with nothing to read for the flight so I ducked into the terminal bookstore and bought a copy of this in paperback. It was entertaining enough; the story is about Rick Dockery, a down-on-his-luck NFL quarterback who has been blackballed from every football team in the league. Needing money and not yet ready to give up on football, Rick reluctantly agrees to quarterback for the Panthers . . . that is, the Parma Panthers . . . in Parma, Italy. Needless to say, American-style football doesn't have nearly the popularity in Italy as it does in the States, but Rick finds himself warming to his new teammates and his new country. I liked it because it was a story about football and Italy--two things I love but would otherwise never consider together. It's light, easy reading and perfect for entertaining you on a plane flight if you're looking for a distraction. :) Three out of five stars.
The Glass Castle, by Jeannette Walls: This New York Times Bestseller had been on my reading list for over a year, after a friend recommended it to me last summer. It's an autobiographical memoir detailing the author's bizarre upbringing during the sixties and seventies. Her father was a shiftless, alcoholic drifter who would uproot the family and leave town every time his creditors caught up with him. Her mother was a self-professed artist who never bothered to embrace the responsibility of raising her children. So, they ended up raising themselves, often going hungry and moving from place to place like gypsies. In spite of their hardships the children managed to become normal members of society in the end. The story was so odd it was hard to believe it was true, but its oddity made it intriguing . . . intriguing enough that I couldn't save it for our plane trip back from the east coast like I was supposed to and instead read it during our vacation. :) Four and a half out of five stars. Note: I should point out that if the book were a movie it would be rated "R" for profanity, so keep this one away from the kids. :)
Uglies, by Scott Westerfeld: I picked this up in a tiny bookstore in a tiny town in North Carolina while we were on vacation . . . because I had finished The Glass Castle prematurely and needed something for the plane ride home. :) The bookstore didn't have a huge selection and I had read another person's review of this book awhile back, so I decided to give it a try.Uglies is the first in a three-volume series. The books are written for young adults so I found the dialogue a little on the immature side. However, the story was entertaining enough that I finished the book and even checked out the second volume, Pretties, from the library this week.
The story is set about 200 years into the future, after modern mankind (unaffectionately referred to in the book as the "Rusties") has pretty much ruined the earth with warfare and unsustainable environmental practices. (Take note: The author could be a spokesperson for Green Peace.) Futuristic mankind has figured out a way to avoid these unpleasantries by grouping everyone into solar-powered cities and turning them all "pretty" at age sixteen. Tally is almost sixteen and about to become pretty when she meets Shay, another almost-sixteen-year-old ugly. But Shay is different from Tally; Shay doesn't want to be pretty. So Shay runs away just before her sixteenth birthday. Tally is sent after her and during her journey Tally learns the truth about the difference between uglies and pretties. All in all, an entertaining story. Three and a half out of five stars. As I said, I will be reading the sequel; we'll see if the series can hold my interest. :)
Currently I'm in the middle of The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne--another classic I've been meaning to read for a long time. It's pretty short--much shorter than Middlemarch--so hopefully it won't take long to finish.
2 comments:
Dear sweet friend--
Did you ever finish Scarlet Letter? I just taught it to the online coop group that we are part of and enjoyed it even more than the first time I read it at age 15-16.
Here's a good book that's a fast read for you--Behind Rebel Lines. It's a biography of a young lady who spied for the Confederate Army. I know you are pro-Secessionist ;), but it is a great read and pretty cool because it is a biography. I haven't read it in a while, so I don't know about the slant--I hope my memory doesn't serve me wrong...though I have found that my brains are leaking out of my ears even more now--where is my brain?!! Well, at least enough remains for me to feed and clothe my family! LOL
I hope you are loving and enjoying motherhood--you are, without a doubt in my mind, a wonderful mother and wife. :)
And Jesus wept
A Prayer From Jesus
Jesus I brought this prayer to your people and they rejected it. So I added a comment on the importance of this prayer and your plan of Salvation, again no responses. Finally with fire and brimstone, mentioned their destination, it was as if they could not even hear.
Jesus am I to be a profit as unto Jeremiah or like unto Jonah. I fell like Jonah, no matter what I want to do, You all ways command me to do this small task, deliver Your prayer. Except the results are as unto Jermiah. When not one obeyed when You said, they will find safety out of the city.
Jesus, you created me as neither but one of power, in Jesus NAME. Devil in the NAME of JESUS I bind you in Jesus name. Release your hold on those who will be called, son's of Jesus. I command you in JESUS NAME to be gone from all who read this post, in Jesus Name. For the glory is yours alone Jesus. I lift your Name up in Praise now, Lord Jesus. Open my eyes in Jesus Name and let me receive from You, this very hour in JESUS NAME.
.
- A PRAYER FROM JESUS -
This prayer is from Jesus that we may hear from Him, that He may speak to our hearts. It only consist of three simple steps.
1, We need to read one scripture. This will focus us in the word that brings everlasting life.
2, Since this prayer is from Jesus we need to direct our prayer to Him personally. Too often Christian focuses they're prayer's to G_D or Father. Scripture proclaims, that Jesus should be the focus of our prayer.
3, The simplest part of this Prayer is to ask Jesus one question. Please, all that is required for this question is that it should be simple. Let Jesus Himself finish the question when He gives you that understanding through this prayer.
The PRAYER
A) The scripture that is the focus of this prayer is "ACTS 2:38". It's not necessary to do any study into this scripture. Jesus will give you the understanding that will resonate in your heart. Just read Acts 2:38, keep it in your heart and take this one scripture to prayer
B) The most important part of this prayer is that we need to direct our prayer directly to Jesus. If you normally would say Father in your prayer, change your focus from the Father to Jesus, by lifting Jesus name up every time you would normally use Father in your prayer.
C) Maybe the hardest part of this prayer is the question that we need to ask Jesus. For man is always trying to understand the question, instead of listening to the answer. The simplest question is all that is required.
Simply ask Jesus, 'WHY'?
For those who are obedient
Tsquare777(at)gmail.com
Post a Comment