Monday, February 02, 2009

Marley & Me

I don't typically make New Year's resolutions, but I do like to take stock every January of where I am on different levels--spiritual, intellectual, relational, etc.--and think about how I can be more purposeful and effective in each area. Then I set some realistic goals and implement a few manageable schedule changes. It's no drastic life overhaul, but I do better when I'm taking baby steps. :)

This year, one of my goals is to read more for pleasure/enrichment. I love reading; I used to devour dozens of books in an average month when I was a kid. Now I just don't have time to sit down for a leisurely afternoon of reading. So I decided that instead I am going to spend at least 15-20 minutes reading each night before I go to sleep. I'm going to keep track of my progress by posting reviews of the books as I finish them. It may be awhile between reviews, but I figure if I read 12 books this year, it will be about 8 more than last year. :)

I started with the NY Times Bestseller, Marley & Me, by John Grogan. It's an easy read that could be done in a few days, but it took me a little longer since I was only getting through about 2 chapters each evening.

Most of you have probably seen the trailer and/or the movie by the same title that was released back in December, so you know the gist of the story. Marley is a very badly behaved yellow Labrador retriever. John and Jenny Grogan are his newlywed adoptive parents. The book is written by John in the first person, and it covers a span of about 13 or 14 years--from Marley's puppyhood to old age.

For me, the book started off a bit slowly. The stories about Marley's anctics were cute, but nothing unique from what typical new puppy owners go through. I found, however, as the book progressed and as Marley slowly cemented himself into John's and Jenny's lives and affections, that Marley also started to win me over. By the end of the book, I really loved the dog, in spite of his many misbehaviors and neuroses.

I think the best thing about the book was Grogan's ability to duplicate his personal journey for the reader. Because the story is told in the first person, you are with John each step of the way, hearing his thoughts as he reacts to Marley and the events in his life. It's just an average guy-next-door kind of story, but by the end of it you almost feel like part of the Grogan family.

Overall, this was an enjoyable read. I wouldn't recommend the original version for kids (there are some sexual references and mild language), but I understand there is a young adult version that is probably G-rated. I haven't seen the movie yet, but now that I've read the book I definitely plan to.

No comments: