Thursday, May 17, 2007

Injustice

Normally I spurn all things pop culture. But I'm going to betray myself here with a confession. I watch American Idol. Part of it is because I'm a singer and I love to watch people sing (people who can sing, anyway). The other part is no doubt the whole rags-to-riches aspect of the show that attracts 90% of the viewers.

So all season there has been one singer who has stood head and shoulders above the rest. She nailed almost every single performance, and even her "okay" performances were still better than many of the other singers' best. I was sure she would win the competition.

Well, she didn't. She made it to the top three, and went home last night. Now we have in the finale a beat-boxer from Seattle and a 17-year-old from Phoenix. The beat-boxer guy is okay, but the problem is that I'd never buy his album. He's fun to watch because he beat-boxes and pops and locks, but if you close your eyes and listen to him, those talents are totally lost on you. The 17-year-old sings great. I'll give her that. Still, she isn't half as good a performer as the girl that went home last night, nor as diverse.

I guess that's how the show goes. I am supremely miffed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We were all pretty shocked last night...We thought for sure that Blake would get the boot. We're wondering what happened! My mom cried.

We are kinda partial to Jordin in our house (admission: we all voted for Jordin last night), if just because I sort of "met" her when she sung with Michael W Smith back when I played in his back-up orchestra at Christmastime. She sounded even better in person and we've had such fun watching her grow through the season. But you're right, in terms of pure vocal ability, Melinda is head and shoulders above the rest....but, she's going to have a great career, even without winning Idol. Can't wait to see what she does next!

Anonymous said...

Actually, I think Jordin is a terrific singer. I have loved her. And I love the fact that she's a Christian homeschooler! I've been rootin' for her since her audition.

Melinda has been very good...excellent. But Jordin's been there with her. I cried when LaKisha left also.