One of the things I love about Sacramento is the small-town feel it has, even though it is technically a medium-sized city (and even has a few token skyscrapers to prove it). In East Sacramento, where we live, the small-town feel is especially strong. People live there, raise their families there, grow old there, and then their children raise their families there. Most everyone knows everybody else, and it is a very friendly community.
Just to the west of East Sacramento is the Midtown district. I love this neighborhood because of the many old Victorian homes that line the streets. In recent years this part of town has developed into quite the hip and trendy neighborhood. It is very popular with young professionals and the restaurants and clubs definitely cater to that demographic. Dan and I love to go down there for dinner occasionally and enjoy the urban atmosphere. It has the feel of a larger city, but of course is cleaner and safer.
The Midtowners are very proud of their neighborhood and are constantly hosting events and promoting their restaurants to bring people in. One such promotion is called "Free Lunch Fridays." Every week, an e-mail is sent out with a series of questions about Midtown ("what's your favorite coffee house in Midtown," "where do you like to take walks," etc.). Those who answer have their names put in a drawing and each Friday a winner is chosen to receive that week's prize. A couple of weeks ago, I won a $50 gift certificate to one of the cute little Midtown restaurants Dan and I have been wanting to try. Works for me! ;)
The other thing I'm really loving about Sacramento right now is its weather. The locals told me that winter usually turns straight into summer with only a week or two for spring. Not so this year. It's been spring since about the beginning of March, with temps pretty much staying between 65 and 75. Our entire neighborhood is awash with flowers--especially roses; the rose bushes in our yard are blooming so fast I can't keep up with them. And, with a very few exceptions, it's always sunny.
I still miss home; I think I always will. But liking where we live definitely helps. :)
Thursday, April 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I love Sac for all the reasons you listed, but also because I think it a GORGEOUS Capital city... and it makes me proud to be born and raised in California. :-)
Post a Comment