Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Since you asked. . .

In response to Heidi's question:

The party on Saturday went about as expected. Both partners paid their respects at our table and conversed and smiled and flattered, which was very proper of them, even if not perhaps completely sincere. ;) The senior partner had requested, and was granted, a small podium equipped with a microphone, from which he issued his "invocation" before the meal. This "invocation" was much the same as last year's--dutifully directed to "Our Lord in Heaven" but sounding more like a well-prepared motivational speech than a prayer. Last year I had a hard time not laughing during his mini-speech--which was terribly disrespectful of me, I know--so this year I prepared myself and didn't so much as crack a smile, even when he started talking about some honeybees some astronauts took into space with them. Those who, like me, are used to traditional churches and traditional public prayers, will understand my amusement at someone's telling God: "just as the honeybees floated weightless for a few days but then all died from lack of exertion, let us remember that it is hard work which keeps us strong . . ." Um, yeah.

[I should insert here that Dan is far more gracious than I am on this subject because, as he so wisely observed later, the senior partner could simply not pray at all (or worse, believe there is no God, or that there are many gods, or that he himself is god . . .). I'm sure my husband is right (he nearly always is) and I shouldn't allow myself to be amused at the senior partner's expense. There, I am sufficiently chastened.]


Returning to the party: The meal itself was pleasant; we were more fortunate this year in our seating arrangements than we were last year--we sat with our good friend Jason (whom Dan recruited to the firm all the way from New Mexico back in November), Jess, one of Dan's coworkers, and Jess' boyfriend Matt. All of us being 25 and under--oops, sorry Jace--make that 26 and under (evil wink), naturally we talked about things like music and how we met our "significant others." Matt, a marine, entertained us with what Jess called his "war stories", his less-than-orthodox taste in music and his origami-flower-making. We left after dessert and coffee but before we could be snared again by the senior partner and his obligatory "schmoozing."

[I should insert here that my only slightly-veiled peeved-ness with the senior partner springs from his completely irrational directive to fire my husband last Thursday, upon his discovery that Dan intends to leave the firm in April in order to prepare for the Bar exam. Thankfully the office manager and others intervened and Dan, at least for the moment, remains employed. However, I will admit I slightly resented all of the partner's patting of my shoulder and calling me "sweetheart" and inquiring, with such well-feigned concern, how I was, when he was perfectly willing to turn us out on the street a mere 48 hours before. (And yes, I do occasionally overdramatize things. ;))]

I was meaning to post a picture of us all dressed up, but we forgot to take our camera and so I have to wait for Jace to get his film developed. Assuming that happens inside of a year *angelic look* I will post such picture at such time as I receive it.

No comments: