Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Preggie Brain

I'm not generally a scatter-brained person. I'm usually pretty good with details. Today must have been a pregnancy-induced exception.

Over my lunch break I went to the store to buy some storage baskets for the baby's changing table. You know the ones . . . white with cute fabric liners. Anyway, as I was leaving the store with my [very unwieldy] stack of baskets, I realized I didn't have my car keys. Normally I just slip them into the outside pocket of my purse, but they weren't there.

I had brought along my seamstress measuring tape so I could measure the baskets to make sure they would fit. I remembered that while measuring, I had set my keys down on the store shelf. So, back into the store I went with my [very unwieldy] stack of baskets. I walked back to the aisle where I thought I'd set the keys. They weren't there. I went to another aisle, and then another. I had only been in three different aisles. The keys were nowhere to be found. Starting to worry, I asked a nearby employee if she'd seen them, or if anyone had turned them in. She said no.

By this time my arms were getting a little tired from lugging around the [very unwieldy] stack of baskets, and I was already having trouble navigating the narrow aisles with the [very unwieldy] stack of baskets. I decided to set the [very unwieldy] stack of baskets down and have a think.

I'm going to be late getting back to the office.

Wait, HOW am I getting back to the office?

Where am I going to put all these baskets?

Dan has a brief due today; I can't make him leave work, go home to get the spare keys and then come all the way out here to pick me up.

I guess I had better call the office . . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

While rooting around in my purse for my cell phone, I found the keys.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you think that's bad, just you wait till the baby IS HERE!! Your arms will be holding too many things, and your brain even more. And there's something about babies that suck the smarts right out of you.

Anonymous said...

Haha! Preggie brain is the WORST! Mine was always thinking that I didn't press the button to close the garage door, getting half way to work or school, panicking, then turning around to find it was CLOSED. The keys too...oh my gosh! Why does the brain turn to mush? :)

Kelly Sauer said...

wow, missed this - LOL! My thing on losing keys? I have this habit of hanging them off my pinky finger so I can fill my hands with stuff (or Piper) that I'm carrying. Then I get out to the car and I can't find the darn keys when I start rooting through my purse with my now-free hand that has Piper standing next to the car, waiting... I have done this SO many times...

Hope you're well! thinking of you!