Friday, November 16, 2007

38 Days 'Til Christmas

I have a Christmas-countdown application on my Facebook page. Today, it says there are 38 days left until Christmas.

I do this to myself every year, not to stress myself out about how much there is to do in a short period of time, but to remind myself to take advantage of every single, delightful day during the holiday season, and to enjoy it to the fullest while it lasts. After Dan and I got married, I purposed not to ever let a December go by without planning at least a few special times just to relax and enjoy the season together. Some years have been harder than others; for instance, the year after the bar exam we were both working temp jobs and were pretty much broke at Christmastime, so we did free or inexpensive things like go out to look at Christmas lights or have a date at Starbucks over peppermint mochas. These are memories we really treasure, way more than the actual gifts we give to and receive from each other.

This year, with buying the house and remodeling our kitchen, we won't have a lot of extra money to spend either. So I told Dan that I don't really care about presents. I want to make Christmas memories with him by doing things together instead. So, I decided I'd post a few of my ideas for our memory-making this year. Some are free and some are not, but if you add it all up, it's still much less than we would normally spend on each other for gifts, plus it is spread out over a month or so.

I know most of my readers don't live here in Sacramento, but for those of you who do, here are a few fun activities in the area worth noting:

Nov. 23-24,
Merchant Open Houses, old town Placerville (FREE!)
I love old town Placerville; it is so quaint and picturesque. The town gets quite dressed up for the holidays and on these open house days, many of the local merchants hand out free food samples and hot cocoa to visitors. It's a lovely, romantic place to stroll around and enjoy.

Nov. 24, Sacramento Santa Parade, 10:00 a.m., downtown near the Capitol (FREE!)
This is great fun (especially for kids , as nearly all the parade participants throw candy *wink*). Lots of Sacramento pride and many fun and entertaining parade participants.

Nov. 30-Dec. 2,
East Sacramento Holiday Home Tour ($20)
This takes place right in our own neighborhood. We went last year and had a lovely time. :)

Dec. 1,
"Christmas in the Village", old town Fair Oaks (FREE!)
This is supposed to be a super family-friendly kind of event, with Santa there to greet the kiddies. We have never gone before, but it looks like a lot of fun. There is a parade beginning at 4:00 p.m. and lighting of the town tree afterwards.

Dec. 1-31,
"Light Up Christmas House", begins at 6:00 p.m. every evening (FREE!)
Local home elaborately decorated with Christmas lights set and timed to Christmas music. Owner of the house accepts donations of canned food to feed the hungry for the holidays. Location: 6425 Meadowhill Court, Carmichael, California.

Dec. 7-22, the Sacramento Ballet presents The Nutcracker, Community Center Theatre ($25; kids under 12 are half price)
I doubt we'll get to go to this because of too many scheduling conflicts, but I've been to see The Nutcracker once before and I loved it! I would love to go again some year if I get the chance.

Dec. 8, Second Saturday in Midtown, Sacramento (FREE!)
The Midtown area actually features "Second Saturday" every month, but I expect December's event to be a little extra special. Visitors walk around the Midtown area and local merchants have sidewalk sales and food samples and many local artists display their work. Great fun. :)

Dec. 8-9, Sacramento Choral Society's "Home for the Holidays" concerts, Memorial Auditorium and Mondavi Center ($15-$50)
Just had to put in a plug for my chorale. ;) We have a great concert put together this year, with classical and traditional selections. I have tickets if you're interested. *grin*

Dec. 8-9,
El Dorado County Bed & Breakfast Inn Holiday Tour ($15)
I can't wait for this event! Twelve B&Bs in El Dorado county get all decorated for the holidays and open their doors to visitors. It's a lovely drive too, as they range from South Lake Tahoe to Coloma and Placerville.

Dec. 15,
Auburn Country Christmas, old town Auburn, 5:00-9:00 p.m. (FREE!)
Another "old town" event. (I love old towns, if you can't tell. ;) I think it must be my east coast upbringing.) Crafts, pony rides, carolers, living Christmas tree, etc.

Dec. 22,
Handel's Messiah!, Mondavi Center, 7:30 p.m. ($34; students and kids are half price)
I have always wanted to see a live production of Messiah! so I hope we get to go to this event. I'll have to twist Dan's arm though, because that's a lot of choral music in one dose. ;)


For those of you who don't live in Sacramento, I'm sure your local towns have many similar free or nearly-free events. The local paper is a great source and there are often entire websites dedicated to these things.

I hope everyone gets a chance to really enjoy the holidays by making fabulous memories with your families and focusing on the Reason we celebrate Christmas in the first place. :)

1 comment:

Joshua and Carrie Briggs said...

Hey, I would love to go to Handel's Messiah. I'll have to talk to Joshua about it!