I have always loved running. It gives me this feeling I can't really describe . . . freedom and abandon and the pleasure of going somewhere on my own two feet. I think it's one of the reasons that soccer is my favorite sport: it's mostly running. I've never been fast exactly, but I've always had good endurance. So it was always a goal of mine to run a marathon . . . you know, "someday."
Well, "someday" hasn't exactly arrived yet, but I'm taking a meaningful first step. I'm running my first competitive 5K on March 22. I won't win, but I have a personal time goal I'm shooting for.
Last fall I really went gung-ho on the fitness thing. I started working out five days a week and overhauled my diet. I got really familiar with the gym. And in December I started running again. As of the beginning of February, I'd worked up to where I was easily running 2-3 miles three times a week. That 5K was was going to be a breeze.
And then I got sick. I got that awful flu that the whole world seems to have right now. It knocked me out--literally--for over a week, exercise-wise. I groaned as day after day passed, thinking how much strength and stamina I was losing, but the doctor had given me strict orders: No running.
So yesterday was my first time back to the gym in nine days. I'd planned to stick to weights, to avoid a relapse of my my rib-cracking cough, but the call of the treadmill was just too strong. ;) I decided I'd just run for five minutes. Five minutes became six, then seven, and seven minutes turned into a mile. After that I had to stop, because I started coughing.
So now I'm a bit worried. At this point I'd be lucky to finish a 5K, let alone make a time goal. The run is one month from today. Wish me luck! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Awww, as someone who has come down with the infamous flu, I'm sorry you've been so sick and that it has disrupted your workout routine. But - I'm so proud of you for signing up to run a 5K! (And a tad jealous! I look forward to the day when I'm healthy enough to try adventurous things like that.) I'm sure you'll do fabulously - I look forward to hearing all about it. Go you!
Sorry you have been ill, hope you are feeling better. I sooooo miss the gym right now! I was training for the Las Vegas marathon last Spring when I discovered I was pregnant. I was VERY dissapointed I didn't get to run it. :( And now, since I had to have an emergency C section, I developed a blood clot (complication from surgery) and am on blood thinners. And the darn doctor says "No running on blood thinners." Grrrrr! Good luck lady!
Post a Comment