Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Baby Lawyer

I had a law and motion hearing to appear at yesterday. I've been to a couple of them before, but this was the first one I had to do by myself. The day before the hearing we got a tentative ruling in our favor from the judge, so I wasn't that nervous. I basically just had to keep from saying anything that would make him change his mind and rule against us. :)

As many of you know, public speaking is not my strong point. However, I thought it went really well. I felt very comfortable with the subject matter of the briefs and I was able to articulate my thoughts clearly (I thought, anyway *grin*). And though he didn't issue his final ruling from the bench, the judge flat-out said he disagreed with the other side.


There was just one unsettling thing. While I was making my argument, the judge was looking at me with this . . . odd expression. As though he wanted to pat me on the head. It was that amused sort of smile that you make when you're listening to a three year old tell a story.

All my life, people have told me that "someday" I'll appreciate looking younger than my age. I'm 27 and I'm still waiting for that "someday." :-P

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So use it to your advantage ... ambush 'em with your girlish charm and then kick the snot out of 'em ;-)

~FD

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain! I was at a youth ministry convention the beginning of Dec with Rebecca and another of the volunteers from church. It was in Charlotte, NC and they had an outdoor ice skating rink set up and we ditched a session to go skating. When we went to rent our skate, the girl at the counter (who was probably way younger than me) asked if we were both over eighteen.

We laughed and said we were, but asked her how old she though we were... She said "15 and 16"

!!!

I told her I was 27 and her eyes got really big :-P