I have often remarked, since graduating from highschool (which was, amazingly, ten years ago this past May), that I hadn't enough life left to live to do all the things I would love to do.
For example, I want to travel Europe.
I want to learn to speak Japanese, French, Italian and Spanish -- fluently, of course.
I want to go back to college and double major in vocal performance and English literature -- just for fun!
I want to be a mom to four or five kids. But I want to be the best and coolest mom ever. ;)
I want to play competitive soccer again.
I want to be a really good dancer.
I want to go to a culinary institute and take gourmet cooking classes.
I want to hike the Appalachian trail -- the whole thing.
I want to learn to ski, waterski, swim really well, repel down cliffs and fly a plane.
I want to live in New York City for a year.
And those are things I just thought of off the top of my head. :)
Life is such an amazing and wonderful thing. There is so much to be enjoyed, savored and remembered. Will I get to do all of these things on my list? Probably not. But knowing they're out there to be done if I ever have the time and the means gives me a sense of anticipation about the future. Chances are, I'll never get bored. :)
What's on your list?
I'm off to google Spanish classes and ballroom dancing in Sacramento. ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
My List:
I want to travel *more*, to places ranging from Africa to Ireland.
I want to start a concert series dedicated to raising money for humanitarian relief and fighting injustice.
I want to go to graduate school - twice, maybe. Once for music and once for a seminary degree.
I want to write a book...or two, or three.
I want to become a really good dancer. :)
I want to be a mom to three or four kids - and I want to be the best and coolest mom ever, too. ;)
I want to go backpacking with my husband into places that no car could ever reach, and completely rough it in the wild.
I want to learn how to do new things, among them kickboxing (*really* kickbox, not just the aerobic variety that I already love), kayaking, gourmet cooking, and playing all 24 Paganini Caprices.
I want to make my home a refuge for hurting people who have nowhere else to go.
I want to teach a violin student all the way from the beginning through the Tchaikovsky concerto.
Oh, and...I want to live in New York for a year too - can we arrange it to be there at the same time? ;)
Very fun post, Angel. It's so easy to get locked into doing what's merely "Expected" or "normal" or "required", or just surviving and paying bills, and forgetting all the possibilities that lie ahead of us. Thanks for reminding me, at least!
To both you and Heidi - and Dan and Michael - pick out the ones you can do ... when you can do them. Then DO them. Don't be so risk-averse you end up saying "I wish I woulda ..." instead of "I'm so glad I did!"
Life's short - eat dessert first.
~FD
ummm...since you're asking: I wanna come to Sacramento to see you, go to Germany (and some other countries), get a Jack Russel puppy and a horse, go to a Lifehouse concert, run a marathon, drive thru New England in the fall and take pictures AND visit Saratoga racetrack, exersise ride a thoroughbred on a racetrack, learn how to fight and use a handgun, sniper rifle, and some other cool weapons, drive a BMW, step in the gap and save someone's life, love people like God does and show them Him most of all, get to heaven and hear God say 'well done.'
-me
Let's see... in no particular order...
I want to get a Ph.D.
Be fluent in Spanish
Take swing dancing lessons with my hubby
Be a mom to 3 kids (and I'm going to enter the best and coolest mom competition!! :-D)
Write the youth ministry book that I know is in my head somewhere, waiting to come out
Write the novel that's also in my head somewhere... I can feel it!
I want to live overseas
I want to do post-grad research in England
I'd like to teach at a Bible college in Africa for a year
I eventually want to teach youth ministry on the seminary level
And my husband wants to hike the Appalachian Trail, so maybe we could do a couples thing one of these days?? I'm not sure how excited I am about an extended hike, but that could be b/c I've never done it, and with you and Dan (And mike and heidi perhaps??) it'd be a heck of a lot more fun!
Here's to the future! (but, I'm totally loving the present too, after all, it's the only place we can actually live...)
Post a Comment